Food for Thoughts

Communication

With the modern technologies, there are many tools we use to communicate now. While snail mails and postcards are still around in the market, emails, SMS and handphone are something that most people can't leave without. The effectiveness of whichever way that you choose to communicate really depends on the audience, contents, urgency and location. And it varies from individuals to individuals. The tool and style that suits you, may not be suitable to you audience. Thing that seems to so "common sense" to you, may not be for others.

I have a client who has very busy schedule and most of the time I can't get hold of him via his office direct line. I realised later that his prefers mode of communication is email, as most of time, he is very responsive via email. So, I change my style and mode of communication with him. There was once, I have arranged a appointment for him and my candidate, but the appointment is within the next few hours, and I need his confirmation soonest. So, I chose SMS instead followed by an email. And he responded via sms due to the urgency.
I love home-cooked food. Almost every evening, I dine with my family. So, my agreement with my family is that if I won't be home for dinner, either I inform early in the morning before I leave home, or if something ad-hoc came up during the day, I will inform by 5pm. SMS is my usual mode of informing. There was once, it's almost 5pm, and something came up that I wouldn't be back for dinner, I chose to SMS. And of course, the message was not read in time, and my portion was prepared. What a waste! So, I learnt my lesson, and the next time, especially it's almost 5pm, I SMS to inform.
With the modern technologies, we have many modes to choose to communicate. While economical is ideal, it should not undermine the efficiency and effectiveness of the communication. Sometimes email and SMS may be delayed, even though on your end it indicates delivery...transmission problem. Email and SMS are convenient, but there are things that we can resolve by just one phone call away.
So, choose wisely and be flexible to change when it needs to be.
Communication is really an art and skill that requires constant learning and improvement. We can't achieve 100% no misunderstanding full proof, but I think it will help reduce and perhaps "repair" the damage that has been done before.

0 comments: